Wednesday 21 January 2009

Restaurant Review: Forth Floor, Harvey Nichols

Harvey Nichols Forth Floor Restaurant is an award winning restaurant with a great wine list. Better still, on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, all wine in the main restaurant is half price, making for a much less expensive night out, and an opportunity to try something special without breaking the bank.

Wine List

What can I say? From a fantastic range of champagnes in half bottles (perfect to share over your starter) to expensive burgundy and a wide variety in between: the wine list is very good indeed. I sometimes feel that the shop prices are slightly more expensive than your other high street wine shops, but this is Harvey Nicks, and they do manage to get wine that you will struggle to find elsewhere (unless you buy online). Take the shop prices into the restaurant, and bargains leap out from every page.

Food

An amouse bouche of goats cheese ravioli started the night - delicious. Not knowing this, I had ordered goats cheese with roasted black figs and onion filo crisps for my starter - but I can never eat too much goats cheese, so I wasn't too disappointed. My partner had hot smoked salmon and avocado purée. Main course, with a great (but not too expensive!) burgundy, was roast chump of lamb with caramelised beetroot, chestnuts, fondant potato: the chestnuts went extremely well, and the lamb was perfectly cooked. Although full, I managed to eat some Apple cheesecake - perhaps the weakest course of the three, but nonetheless very nice.

Overall Rating

I've been to the Forth Floor twice now, and really enjoyed both evenings. The food is very good indeed, the wine list excellent, and the service impeccable. My only complaint is that the restaurant itself is a bit cold - so wear something warm!

Tuesdays and Thursdays offer exceptional value for money.

No comments: