Wednesday 13 August 2008

Hanedan, Edinburgh: Restaurant Review

Hanedan is a Turkish restaurant with a good reputation, on the Hit List for the List magazine. I had been looking forward to going for a while - what better occasion than a night out with friends I haven't seen for a while.

Wine List

First of all the wine list: cheap and cheerful, and perfect for the restaurant, delivering good value and good quality. We drank the rose Shiraz from Argentina (I forget the name) and at £13 per bottle it was excellent value - a damn site better than the £5.00 per glass nonsense I tried to drink at a wedding at the Dalmahoy the next day.

Food

For starters I indulged my feta fetish and chose Borek - filo pastry, filled with feta and spinach. It was lovely. The stand out starter though was the Firin Kofte - superb minced lamb meatballs (also available as a main! I will bear this in mind for my next visit).

Our mains were chicken skewers, lamb skewers and a mixed grill, all served with some rice, and a mixed salad on the side. The lamb had been recommended to me and was very good.

Desserts were, unfortunately, slightly less well received. My baklava was nice, but it's hard to do anything extraordinary with it I think. The Hanedan's Mess looked lovely but the verdict was lukewarm - nothing to write home about (in contrast to the review on the List).

Overall Rating

The ambience in the restaurant is fantastic - we stayed until about midnight and never felt any pressure to leave, although I suspect we were the last table of paying guests. Overall value for money is superb - our total bill came in at £25 per head for 3 courses and half a bottle of wine. The menu is slightly limited, especially the desserts, but I will certainly be going back, and had a fantastic night.

Book a table here for an informal, relaxed night out and good food.

No comments: